One of the most amazing men to ever roam the planet was Jack LaLanne. He’s considered the “Godfather of Fitness” and he has some of the craziest, most extraordinary physical feats you will ever hear in your life. From setting a world-record of 1,000 pushups & 1,000 pullups in 1-hour and 22 minutes at the age of 45 to at age 70, towing 70 boats with 70 people for 1.5 miles in the water, while swimming handcuffed and shackled. Yes, read that again. Needless to say, Jack LaLanne was one of the most inspirational men I ever got the chance to meet. He also had a TV show that lasted over 34-years. He had his own string of gyms. And supplement lines. And even his own “Jack LaLanne Juicer.”
Well, I recently had the honor to visit his lovely 96-year-old bride, Elaine LaLanne, and spend 1.5 days at the LaLanne compound in central California. It was extraordinary. I worked out in his home gym, saw all the iconic awards and original prototypes, and…I got to interview Elaine LaLanne for this week’s Todd Durkin IMPACT Show podcast on the legend of her late husband Jack LaLanne. She’s witty, she’s sharp, she’s smart, and her energy is going to dazzle you!
This is one for the ages and one of the most special interviews I have EVER done. Let’s go to the home of Elaine LaLanne now and listen to the incredible “LaLa LaLanne” and I talk about so many things including…
- Why receiving the “Jack LaLanne Award” in 2017 was so special.
- Out of all the impressive physical feats Jack did, which one was most special to her?
- Jack LaLanne’s diet and how & why he was so disciplined.
- How did the “Jack LaLanne Juicer” deal come about?
- The Jack LaLanne TV show was on TV for 34-years. What was the best part of all of it?
- Why I loved working out at Jack LaLanne’s gym in Brick, NJ, back in the day and how the “Jack LaLanne’s gym” deal came about.
- Jack’s greatest failures and how he dealt with setbacks.
- Jack’s philosophy on money and his insane work-ethic.
- What is Elaine LaLanne’s legacy and what keeps her going so STRONG at soon to be 97-years young.
- Why she wrote the book “Pride & Discipline—the Legacy of Jack LaLanne” (with Greg Justice/Scriptor Publishing) and how this will be part of her legacy.
- If Jack were alive today, what advice would he give to America?
- Bonus section with Jack LaLanne’s son John LaLanne and how Jack was as a father, how his Dad juggled fatherhood & fitness, and what his Dad thought of John’s “hobbies.”
This is one tremendously inspiring podcast episode. It’s the story of a true HERO and American fitness icon. It’s also the extraordinary story of a woman who walked hand-in-hand with her husband for 51 years and was a “secret weapon” for all those years.
This episode is one to please share with your friends, colleagues, community, and certainly, anyone who is either a fitness fanatic or fitness professional.
Some of My Favorite Quotes from Jack LaLanne:
“Everything you do in life, I don’t care, good or bad, don’t blame God, don’t blame the devil, don’t blame me, blame you. You control everything! The thoughts you think, the words you utter, the foods you eat, the exercise you do. Everything is controlled by you!”
“The food you eat today is walking and talking tomorrow.”
“You’ve got to exercise. Your health account, and your bank account, they’re the same thing. The more you put in, the more you can take out.”
For more of my favorite Jack LaLanne quotes, check out this blog post. Not only do I have a whole list of incredible quotes from Jack LaLanne, but I also have compiled a list of my favorite physical feats of his too. Check those out here.