Back in May 2000, just 5-months after opening my first performance studio called Fitness Quest 10, I hired a young strength & conditioning coach named Brett Klika. Brett and I met at the Olympic Training facility in Chula Vista, CA, while I was working with the U.S. Women’s Soccer Team. He became my sidekick in the trenches changing lives for close to two decades and I’m so proud of all he has accomplished since the start.
Today we have some fun reminiscing about the old days and talking about how Brett is now creating massive IMPACT living in alignment with his true purpose. This includes sharing his knowledge and practical experience with his “Power of Play” message to fitness educators, coaches, and corporate executives around the world.
In today’s episode, we talk about:
- Fondest memories working together at Fitness Quest 10
- Funniest moments working together, including how Brett once stole my car
- Great things Brett is doing to create IMPACT
- Best advice Todd gave Brett on growth
- Brett shares his lessons learned from being a trainer/coach for over 21 years and lessons learned working with Corporate teams
- Brett’s best practices for energy management
If you know enjoyed today’s episode with Brett Klika, please share on your social media and tag us at:
IG/Twitter: @ToddDurkin @bklika @spiderfitkids
More on the episode:
3:45 – Brett takes us back to the early days and how he ended up at Fitness Quest 10.
Meeting Todd for the first time at the Olympic training center
7:04 – The vision of opening a performance studio.
- Had to sell Brett to my clients
- Competition on who can do the most sessions in a day
11:45 – The Power of a Team!
Brett was the thoroughbred I always leaned on
13:00 – The evolution of Bretts growth.
- Starting a family…things had to change and I had to challenge my soul to change
- Best advice from Todd
19:18 – Todd and Brett share their most memorable memories at Fitness Quest 10.
- How Brett Stole Todd’s car
- Events on the road
- Commander B
- Todd and Brett teaching Pilates???
- Using Brett as a guinea pig with the new speed cords
25:01 – Brett talks about his current projects.
- SPIDERfit Kids
- Energy Management for the Fitness Professionals
31:00 – Brett’s position now in the marketplace.
Serving my purpose
34:30 – 1 Lesson learned working with corporate teams.
The Power of Purpose…The Power of Attention & Intention
40:30 – Top lessons learned in 21 years of fitness.
- The importance of investing in yourself
- The story of investment
- Compassion – putting myself in others shoes
- Importance of connection and willingness to get out of my own way
- Investing in Connection
51:56 – Brett shares mistakes in early stages of being a fitness trainer/coach.
Inserting myself into the equation of others
59:20 – Brett’s best practices for energy management.
- Condition my body, mind, and soul
- Meditation time
- Gratitude daily
- Push myself to connect
- Content consumption and contribution
1:04:52 – Todd shares The 4 C’s to Success.
1:07:10 – Final words from Brett.
Success is a building process, look at your why and serve your purpose
More About Brett Klika:
Brett Klika CSCS is an IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year, motivational speaker, author, high performance consultant and Co-Founder of SPIDERfit Kids, a global innovator in youth fitness education. With over 20 years of experience creating resources, speaking, and consulting, for various industry and consumer fitness organizations, Brett continues to bring his knowledge and practical experience with the “power of play” to fitness educators, coaches, and corporate executives around the world.
In addition to his international efforts with SPIDERfit Kids, Brett continues to consult with executives and Fortune 500 companies such as Johnson and Johnson, Deloitte, Marriott, and others on how to integrate health into corporate culture.
In 2013, Brett was recognized by IDEA as “Personal Trainer of the Year” and his Amazon best-selling book, 7 Minutes to Fit (Chronicle Publishing) has been translated into 3 languages and is sold around the world.
IG – @bklika @spiderfitkids
Info on SPIDERfit Kids – https://spiderfitkids.com/
→ Instagram & Twitter: @ToddDurkin
→ Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ToddDurkinFQ10
→ FB: @ToddDurkinFQ10
Don’t forget that if you want more keys to unlock your potential and propel your success, you can order my book GET YOUR MIND RIGHT at www.todddurkin.com/getyourmindright or anywhere books are sold.