“Our friends at Beaming have some fantastic tips to keep us healthy & happy through the holiday season”
It’s that time of year where social occasions should be called mandatory obligations and not partaking in a cocktail will get you named Ebenezer Scrooge quicker than you can say Bah Humbug.
You visit your family, your partner’s family, your work family, and your friend’s work family. While much of it may be fun and entertaining, it takes its toll.
All too often we take refuge in too many cocktails, cheese plates, buttered rolls and decadent desserts. This indulgence can create an acid environment in our bodies. This makes us tired and bloated as the so-called “seasonal seven” (pounds) rears its ugly head by January. Hmm, wonder what your new years resolution will be again?
This year let’s minimize the damage and embrace the holiday season!
Try these little tips to float through the holidays with beaming grace and wellness:
• Eat healthy and regularly throughout the day then enjoy a proper meal before you attend any of your holiday events. Showing up famished could have you cozying up to the food table instead of to your favorite people
• Avoid refined starches. Most baked goods like muffins, breads, and desserts (even the ones labeled gluten free) are packed with refined flours and sugars. Reach for whole food starches like quinoa, sweet potato, and butternut squash instead
• Drink lots of water. If you choose to indulge in a drink or two, commit to having a 16oz glass of water afterward or between your drinks. Once you get water in your glass you’re less likely to go back to alcohol. With 7 calories per gram, those calories add up quick. Water too blah? Herbal tea w/lemon works great too!
• Potluck on tap? Bring a dish filled with your favorite fall fruits, mashed sweet potatoes w/ cinnamon, spaghetti squash w/ fresh herbs or a quinoa dish. In charge of dessert? Whip up a batch of amazing Raw Dark Chocolate Goji Bliss Balls (see recipe below)
• Bring your travel toothbrush, toothpaste & mouthwash. When you clean your mouth you lose the desire to eat. Give it a shot. At the very least, you’ll impress with your minty fresh breath
• Let your clothes be a friendly reminder of appropriate portion sizes. Holidays are absolutely about indulging a bit, but it’s easy to over do it. Wearing clothing that doesn’t ‘give or forgive’ may help keep you from over eating
• Keep the 80/20 rule in mind. 80% of the time, eat a clean, plant-based diet and 20% of the time give yourself some leeway. Remind yourself of your goals, and how you want to look and feel. Start to slip? It’s okay, but nip it in the bud and get back on track
• Be truly engaged. Rather than making the occasion all about the food or drink table, pick one thing to enjoy then tune into friends and family. You won’t feel the need to nibble if your mind is engaged and focused on conversation
• After a day of indulging, let your digestion rest. Do a cleanse day. Start off with a green juice or superfood smoothie for breakfast. Too exhausted to make healthy decisions? Stop into Beaming and we’ll load you up with tasty juices, smoothies, elixirs in case you didn’t follow our instructions above!
SUPERFOOD CACAO NUGGETS
Makes about 1½ dozen. Makes about 24 ounces. Adapted from “No Bake Brownies” from Superfood Kitchen © 2012 by Julie Morris, Sterling Publishing Co. for and with Beaming.
1 Cup raw walnuts
1 Cup Medjool dates, pits removed
½ Cup cacao powder
Pinch sea salt
¼ Cup chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips
½ Cup unsweetened coconut flakes- roll the nuggets (optional for topping)
In a food processor, briefly grind the walnuts into a coarse flour. Add the dates and process until chunky. Add the cacao powder and sea salt and process once more until crumbly dough has formed. Test the consistency – dough should stick together easily and slightly malleable, if not, blend in water 1 teaspoon at a time. Transfer to a medium bowl.
Lay the wax paper on a flat surface. Mix coconut flakes; roll nuggets in coconut oil (if needed) and surround in coconut flakes.
From Catering to Cleansing…Beaming’s got you covered!
Does the thought of cooking leave you overwhelmed and swooning? Fear not. Beaming is open through the holidays with the absolute healthiest juices, smoothies, snacks and raw entrees to help you beam through the season. And yes, we cater too.
Fitness Quest 10 and Beaming are teaming up to offer Beaming’s Signature 4 Day cleanse, January 13 delivered directly to FQ10. Stay tuned for more details!
Click here to stuff your stockings with Beaming gift cards.
Happy Healthy Holidays!
The Beaming Team