One week from today is the SUPER BOWL. The SUPER Bowl. The pinnacle team accomplishment in the NFL. The most watched event & spectacle every year in the U.S. It’s where blood, sweat, and tears pay off for 52 teammates, one coaching staff, and one organization. It’s what young football players dream of attaining some day. It’s what veteran players dream of attaining one day also. It’s what they all work so hard for.
The SUPER BOWL.
I was thinking this morning about if you were playing in the Super Bowl next week. What would your mindset be today? And throughout the week. And what would the keys to victory come game-time next Sunday?
I think there are several critical steps that are important this week in putting oneself in the best opportunity for success next week in the Super Bowl.
- Follow your routine. Don’t re-create the wheel.
- Get in great workouts. 2-3 good workouts in the weight-room can help remove stress, anxiety, and tension as well as help keep you strong and tuned up.
- Eliminate distractions. Everyone is pulling on your boot-straps and want things. Family, media, fans, etc. You gotta FOCUS.
- Relax a bit. It’s important you get some time to relax mentally and “get away” from the noise. Get massages. Read a great book. Journal a bit. Spend time with family.
- Preparation. Perhaps this is the most important KEY TO VICTORY next Sunday. I’m talking the quality of practice. Watching film. Looking at tendencies. Studying the game-plan. Taking mental reps. Visualizing success. Going through all the “what-if’s” for downs, distances, scenarios, and situations. 2 minute drill. From kick-off until the whistle blows, truly practicing and preparing for every phase of the game.
- Don’t get consumed by the hoopla. Don’t get caught up in all the fan-fare. Focus, focus, focus.
- Enjoy the moment. Stop every day and take some deep breaths. Slow-down.
This week the WOW (Word of the Week) is SUPER. Because we all need to be SUPER this week.
In many ways, we all need to create our own Super Bowl this week. In life. In business. In our personal lives. What is the pinnacle you want to reach? What do you want to create? What do you want to do?
If you were to talk to any of the athletes playing in next week’s game, you would find several of them say the same stuff:
- “We had several great breaks during the season that were instrumental in us being here today.” Things went our way.
- “We found ways to PLAY TOGETHER as a team, even when we faced adversity.”
- “We weren’t pulverized with injuries like some clubs.” Yes, there are always some big injuries on all teams. But typically the teams at the end of the year had 2 or 3 major injuries and not 7 or 8 major injuries. You need your top thoroughbreds running to win it down the home-stretch.
- “When the games were close, we found ways to win. We made one or two more BIG PLAYS than our opponents consistently throughout the season.”
- “The pain of discipline is better than the pain of defeat.” Discipline.
How about you? How can you be SUPER this week? How are you going to reach the pinnacle of your “career” this week?
Here is your ACTION step for the week:
I want you to think of something SUPER to do before the game next Sunday that YOU can do. But you need to earn it this entire week with your performance. Maybe you do it on Saturday. Maybe on Sunday. But think of something EXTRAORDINARY to do before you sit down and watch the actual SUPER BOWL.
Here are some examples:
- Go to the mountains and ski for a day.
- Go snow-shoeing.
- Take a trip within 2 hours of your house to a place you have wanted to visit but haven’t in a long time.
- Go on a SUPER date with your spouse or loved one.
- Do some amazing physical feat or take a class that is “outside the box.”
- Write out your “plan” for the Big Idea that has been in your head.
- Write your “ebook” that you’ve been wanting to do.
- Get a 2 hour massage.
- Feed the homeless.
- Volunteer at church.
Think of something. Just make sure it moves your soul. And then book it in your calendar for next weekend. And complete it before 6 pm EST (3 pm PST) on Sunday Feb 3rd.
And then this week, do all “Critical Steps” (listed above) necessary that will allow you to “earn” your SUPER trip/event/splurge/occasion.
A few questions to think about:
What does your routine look like this week?
What do your workouts look like this week?
How are you going to dial in your own PREPARATION this week?
Are you going to write out your entire week by tonight to make sure you are laser focused?
How can you be MOST effective this week?
What is your game-changing move this week?
How will you PREPARE this week?
Who are you going to call this week?
What books are you going to read this week?
It’s a great week to be SUPER my friends. Do all the little things it takes to be great, believe in yourself, don’t be afraid to stand out, trust your preparation, and get the job done each and every day.
And then celebrate next week. First, with your own “SUPER Bowl” and then by sitting down and watching Super Bowl XLVII.
Buckle up and let’s get ready to play!