Teamwork Makes The Dream Work-
10 Reasons WHY I Believe We Won Small-Business of the Year!
By Todd Durkin, MA, CSCS
I received a phone call recently that put a huge smile on my face.
It was California State Assemblyman Brian Maienschein (District 77) congratulating Fitness Quest 10 on winning the “California Small Business of the Year Award” for 2015. We are one of only 139 out of 3.3 million businesses to receive this award.
And earlier today (June 10th, 2015), the Fitness Quest 10 team was honored at the state capital in Sacramento, CA. And while not all 38 teammates could make the ceremony, it certainly is one of the biggest TEAM awards one could receive.
And while individual awards are nice, there is nothing like a TEAM award that RECOGNIZES consistent valiant and outstanding effort from a great group of individuals working together for one PURPOSE: TO INSPIRE GREATNESS EVERYDAY!!!
Kevin Plank, the founder and CEO of Under Armour once said to me in 2009, “The bigger your dream, the more important your team.”
And he is so right on.
Nowadays I often say, “Teamwork makes the dream work.”
And we have one incredible team at Fitness Quest 10. All 38 of them.
And here are just 10 of the reasons why I think Fitness Quest 10 received this incredible honor:
10 Reasons WHY Fitness Quest 10 Received “CA Small Business of the Year Award”
1. Because we care. Truly and deeply care about helping people. Our team is made up of some great people. There are some tremendous stories behind these people. Many of them have overcome tough times. And massive adversity. And they all truly care about making people BETTER.
It is said that people don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care. Part of the DNA of a Fitness Quest 10 employee is they care deeply. And it shows.
2. Because we are purpose-driven. Our purpose is to “Inspire Greatness Everyday.” We truly want to be the best part of our clients and members day, everyday. That is what wakes us up and puts a smile on our faces.
3. Because we get results…and make people’s lives BETTER. In the health, fitness, and sports training business, it’s about results. It’s about understanding a clients wants, goals, needs and desires, and then delivering. We do that. And then some.
4. Because we are “Massive Motivators.” We love to motivate. We love to inspire. And everyone NEEDS motivation everyday. Whether it be a bunch of “Atta boys” or “Atta girls,” praising valiant effort, listening to a client, sending out texts, emails, or videos, our coaches and teammates are truly some of the best in the business at what they do.
5. Because we are ALL leaders. It’s not just me leading the team. It’s everyone leading. Our directors of first impressions. Our Pilates instructors. Massage therapists. Admin & support staff. Trainers and coaches. I always tell our team that we are as strong as our weakest link… and we can’t afford any weak links. “Don’t be the weak link.”
I have also said for years that “A leader of one, a leader of many…if you can’t lead one, you can’t lead any.” If our team doesn’t take care of themselves first, they can’t take care of our beloved clients, members, and guests. So I always encourage them to strive to be their absolute personal best. Professionally and personally. And then they can help others be their best also.
6. Because we consistently create amazing WOW experiences for our clients, members, and guests that puts BIG SMILES on their faces. Part of our mission is to create WOW experiences everyday. That’s why I always love studying the likes of Zappos, Nordstrom, the Ritz-Carlton, Starbucks, and Disney and infusing some of that culture into Fitness Quest 10. We are always striving to be the Magic Kingdom of all gyms. I hope you do the same!
7. Because we are family. Yes, it seems so rhetorical. But you should see the connection of our teammates on the “inside,” behind-the-scenes. They truly care for each other. It’s a safe-haven. They support, love, listen, and encourage to each other a lot. And it’s genuine and authentic.
I think it starts with the interview process. We really try to hire good people. They already have all the credentials and certifications. But we look for more. Positive attitudes. Deep souls. Hungry-spirits who want to be “life-transformers.” And be part of a special team.
We realize the team drives and fosters culture. We realize they help deliver that WOW experience. And are an integral part in making our Fitness Quest 10 culture and community so special.
8. Because we like to “ignite the light” and serve the community. There is nothing like giving back to the community in which you live and work. And I can honestly and humbly state that our team does an amazing job at this. Individually and as a team, we are extremely active in the community.
Just a few examples of the charities our team has been part of in the past few years include:
Big Brothers/Big Sisters of San Diego; Susan B Komen; Relay for Life; Red My Lips; Becky’s House; Stand-Up For Kids; Polinski Center; San Diego Food Bank; Center for Community Solutions (CCS); and The Monarch School.
(This list does not include any sponsorships, donations, or scholarships that we make in the community).
These charities are all noble. None better than another. But they are all ones our team has been involved with to make a huge IMPACT in the community.
Why do we do that? Because we know it makes a difference in other people’s lives and it always feels so much better to give than receive. Period.
9. Because the “Lighthouse” shines brightly. ENERGY. It’s the one word that probably BEST epitomizes Fitness Quest 10. And here is what I often tell my teammates and clients. Imagine you are a lighthouse. Lighthouses attract ships that need help. They are lost or need direction. The brighter your light…the brighter the lighthouse. And the more ships are attracted to the light. Be positive. Be radiant. Be the LIGHT and serve all who are attracted to the light. #BeALightHouse
10. Because of YOU. Let’s face it. If we didn’t have clients, customers, members, or guests, we couldn’t serve our purpose and do what we love to do. And whether you live in Scripps Ranch or in San Diego or in California or somewhere else and you’ve been part of our family in ANY way, I want to say THANK YOU. On behalf of our entire team of superstars, we are so honored and humbled to receive this award. And it’s because of people like YOU who allow us to do our thing. Thank you.
My friends, I understand an award does NOT define us. It does not make us who we are.
It’s our culture. Our core values. The people who make magic happen day-in and day-out.
But every now and then, when your team is recognized with an honor of such magnitude, it stops you in your tracks and makes you feel so grateful and appreciative.
Thank you for being part of our community in some way. And whether you come to Fitness Quest 10 on a regular basis, every now and then, or you just read our newsletters, emails, blog posts, or social media posts…THANK YOU for sharing some of your precious time with us and allowing us to be part of your life.
Much love and much gratitude.
Todd and the Fitness Quest 10 Team
P.S. I would love to read your COMMENTS in the COMMENTS section below. Please share your experience about Fitness Quest 10. My team & I would love to read what you have to say!!!
Todd Durkin, MA, CSCS, is an internationally-recognized performance trainer, bodyworker, speaker, author, and owner of award-winning gym Fitness Quest 10 in San Diego, CA (one of the Top 10 Gyms in the U.S.). His outstanding team of 38 professionals deliver extraordinary service in personal training, sports performance training, massage/bodywork, Pilates, yoga, physical therapy and chiropractic. Todd is the Lead Training Advisor for Under Armour, regular contributor to Men’s Health, and author of The IMPACT! Body Plan.
Todd Durkin created a “DOSE of DURKIN” to motivate and inspire people through weekly text messages every Monday morning that infuse video, audio, or just plain text messages. They are guaranteed to get your mind right and fire-you up. Check out DoseOfDurkin.com to OPT-IN and start receiving your FREE messages.
Todd is also the President/CEO of Todd Durkin Enterprises where he conducts motivational keynotes/presentations, educational & leadership workshops, he operates a Mastermind Group for dedicated fitness entrepreneurs, and he presents internationally on health, fitness, peak performance, and success in life.
You can follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @ToddDurkin, his FB Fan page at ToddDurkinFQ10, or sign up for his monthly motivational newsletter at www.ToddDurkin.com. You can get more information on his facility at www.FitnessQuest10.com or www.ToddDurkin.com.
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE/BLOG IN YOUR NEWSLETTER, IN YOUR BLOG, OR ON YOUR WEBSITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb above with it. If you would like a Word Document of the article sent to you, please email us at email@example.com to let us know and we will be glad to supply it to you.