I started 2020 off in a place that moves my soul: The Mountains. The family and I went over to beautiful Park City, Utah, to breathe in the rarified air at 10,000 feet and have some adventure. We were greeted with 15” of fresh powder while there, which made for great skiing, and my first experience snow-shoeing.
While in the mountains, I was able to complete my 2020 Annual Roadmap & Strategic Plan (see podcast episode #40).
One of the things I did this year was to make sure my goals were “SMARTER” than last year.
Not “Smart” goals. But “S.M.A.R.T.E.R.” goals.
That stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Time-sensitive…and EXCITING and RISKY.
Bet you haven’t heard that one before!!
What EXCITING and RISKY things do you have planned for 2020?
For me, I can think of 5 things that I’m EXCITED for in 2020:
1. I have a new book coming out in June 2020 that I am really EXCITED about. And that includes a bit of a book tour this summer. #GetYourMindRight
2. I will be presenting or keynoting over 30 times in 2020, and that includes some international stops. That fires me up and I hope to see YOU at one of the events. My schedule for the conferences and public events is here.
3. A big “transformation” contest I’m working on that will lead to a MEGA LIVE event here in San Diego. This is going to be some serious IMPACT!!! More to follow. #StayTuned
4. Growth of the “Todd Durkin IMPACT Show” podcast. We have come out of the gate strong in 2020 with some great episodes and we have some extraordinary episodes coming up in the next few weeks alone.
Remember, fresh, new episodes drop every Monday & Thursday AM that promise to motivate, educate, and inspire YOU to be your BEST.
If you have NOT subscribed to the podcast yet, please do so here…
5. High school football season. Seriously. I know it’s 8-months away. But man-o-man am I loving coaching HS football. We had a great year in 2019 (12-1 record and conference champions) and we are looking for even more improvement in 2020. It’s already time to start preparing (lifting, running, 7-7’s, combines, college visits, etc.) for next Fall. 🙂
How about you? What moves your soul? What gets your juices flowing?
What are you MOST EXCITED for in 2020? Regardless of what most excites you, I believe there are 6 non-negotiables that you MUST-DO to ensure an extraordinary year:
1. AMP-up your health & fitness regime. Don’t skimp on your training and dial in your nutrition. You can’t have an EXTRA-ordinary year with ordinary habits.
2. AMP-up your reading. One of my goals is “7-minutes of heaven” in the morning and 7-minutes of reading at night. The morning reads can be anything spiritually nourishing. The evening read can be anything my heart desires (business, leadership, autobiographies, self-help, spiritual, etc.).
My 2020 goal is to read at least 20-books this year and listen to 20 books on-tape. Readers are leaders and there an no excuses why I can’t get this in.
How about you? How many books do you want to read/listen to? Commit to it and get it in.
3. Schedule “mellow-yellow” time for 2020 NOW. Remember, this is time “away” from work. It’s when you are on vacation or taking a day for rest, recovery, and rejuvenation. Fill in your “mellow-yellow” days for your YEAR now…and make sure you visit some “exciting” places.
The more “mellow-yellow” time you have, the more your energy will be soaring. And the better you will eventually PRO-duce when creating content, doing work, or spending time in “green machine.”
4. Attend at least 3-LIVE events this year— 2 in your industry and at least one outside your industry.
There are so many critical things that “live” events offer that make it a non-negotiable these days… Here are just 3 reasons why you MUST attend live events:
- Meet new people and the power of networking. This is where you rub elbows with and potentially do business with the people you need to connect with. There is magic that happens from simply being in the room at a LIVE event.
- LIVE events allow you to get away to work “ON” you and your business/career. Remember, your BIG ideas come when you are AWAY from the office.
- It allows you to capture great content (for you, your team, and your tribe). You can only GO as far as you GROW. LIVE events are where the magic happens. For me, the next live event that I’m attending for me (and NOT presenting at) is just next month. I’m pumped to be attending a Brendon Burchard event here in San Diego. I’m further pumped to be bringing 11 of my teammates to experience that as well. After all, leaders must groom leaders.
5. CHANGE. You can’t keep doing this year what you’ve been doing in past years and expecting different results. That’s the definition of insanity.
What are you going to do DIFFERENT this year to truly make it a remarkable year?
What “change” is necessary in order for that to happen?
6. GET YOUR MIND RIGHT. This is non-negotiable. If your mind is not right, you can’t have the year you expect. You can’t produce the results you want. You can’t create what you desire.
Surround yourself with the right people. Choose your crowd/tribe carefully. Listen to the right content. Weed out bad habits. Amplify your best habits. Feed and fertilize your mind with extreme positive thoughts.
There you have it. 6 non-negotiables to help you create a super-EXTRAORDINARY year that’s full of EXCITEMENT, energy, and positivity.
Be sure to make it “SMARTER” than years past… and don’t settle for anything less than your best.
Much love… and Happy New Year!